We appreciate Naturepedic's careful materials selection, which avoids any potential allergenic materials such as wool, latex, and coconut coir. Organic cotton is used for inner padding, and the outer cover is coated with a food grade polyethylene to create a dust mite and waterproof surface. This mattress has been endorsed by Healthy Child Healthy World due to its environmentally friendly and non-toxic design.
It's two-sided feature also provides options for infants and toddlers, with the toddler side being a little softer than the infant side. We prefer this kind of dual-firmness for safety reasons, since a firm bedding surface is recommend to help prevent SIDs. When your baby is older, the mattress can be switched to the softer side meant for toddlers.
This American-made mattress has a lifetime limited warranty, and is shipped in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging. If only Naturepedic could make bedtime routines Frustration-Free as well! In any case, we think they make a terrific product that you'll love for how peaceful and healthful it will make your child's sleep. This is one of our two favorite crib mattresses, the other being the Colgate Eco Classica III organic cotton mattress, which also offers non-toxic materials and dual-firmness.
The most commonly cited likes for this product are:
- Made of healthy materials, no chemical smell
- Made in the USA
- Waterproof, easy-to-clean
- Promotes baby and toddler's comfortable sleep
- Many report that it ships quickly
User reviews frequently note these disadvantages:
- Heavy, difficult to lift and turn over
Comparison to Colgate Eco Classica III
The Naturepedic Organic Cotton Ultra 252 is one of our two favorite crib mattresses, the other being the Colgate Eco Classica III mattress, which also offers non-toxic materials and dual-firmness. We are big fans of both of these mattresses, and they both meet our key health and safety criteria. The key differences from our point of view are:
- Coil versus Foam inner core — the Naturepedic has inner coils covered with organic cotton batting, while the Colgate utilizes a plant-based foam core inside an organic cotton cover.
- 15.3 lbs heavier — the Naturepedic weighs in at 24.9 lbs while the Colgate weighs only 9.6 lbs. The heavier weight can make changing sheets a little bit more cumbersome.
- Heavy duty edge and cross support — the Naturepedic may be more durable, due to its coil construction, and includes supportive edging and cross support not found on the Colgate.
- More expensive — the Naturepedic costs over $100 more, $399 list versus $268 for the Colgate