In addition, this mattress' dual firmness provides a firmer, more supportive side for infancy which is recommended to help prevent SIDs and a softer, comfier side for toddlerhood.When your baby is older, you can flip the mattress over to the softer side.
The manufacturers of this mattress have considered just about everything when it comes to making parents comfortable with their children's health and comfort, which is why it's one of our favorite crib mattress products.
The most commonly cited likes for this product are:
- Lightweight, so easy to change sheets
- Very firm
- Two side options for infants and toddlers: one side firmer than the other
- Made of healthy materials so doesn't smell of chemicals (no off-gassing)
- Reasonably priced
This mattress is widely regarded, and we can find no significant disadvantages cited in user reviews, or in our own research.
Comparison to Naturepedic
The Colgate Eco Classica III is one of our two favorite crib mattresses, the other being the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Ultra 252 mattress, which also offers non-toxic materials and dual-firmness. To be clear, we are fans of both mattresses, and they both meet our key health and safety criteria. The key differences from our point of view are:
- 15.3 lbs lighter — the Colgate weighs 9.6 lbs versus the Naturepedic at 24.9 lbs, which makes sheet changing easier
- Foam inner core — the Colgate uses a plant-based foam core, while the Naturepedic relies on coils with organic cotton batting
- Less expensive — the Colgate costs considerably less, the Naturepedic lists for $399 versus $268 for the Colgate. Street price differences can result in over $150 savings.